Get your FREE Experian credit report and score!*

CreditExpert Logo

  • Free Experian credit report*
  • Free Experian Credit Score*
  • Free email and text alerts
  • Dedicated UK based call centre

Checking your Experian credit report will not lower your score!

If you are a Credit Expert customer you can contact the customer services team with any questions specific to your credit report.

Please log in to your account and go to the contact us page to contact the member support team.

* Monthly fee applies after trial, new customers only. You may cancel your trial anytime during the 30-day trial period without charge. Free trial period starts on registration – further ID verification may be required to access the full service which may take up to 5 days.

Explore our Help Centre

Our credit report centre is full of information on what 's in your credit report and how to improve your credit rating.

Find out how to protect yourself from identity fraud and what to do if you're a victim.

How can I stop my vulnerable son accessing further credit?


Dear James,


Can I as a parent of a vulnerable adult – who in the past amassed serious debt that my husband and I paid off therefore still leaving him with a good credit rating – can I place some sort of marker on his credit rating to prevent my son from taking out further credit? My husband has now been appointed a deputy by the court of protection. Alternatively, what can you best advise us to do?



Penelope, Durham


Dear Penelope,

Yes we certainly can help with this. Your husband needs to send us a copy of the first general order confirming his appointment as Deputy.  We don’t need the original order.  He should also ask us to add a note to your son’s credit report outlining the circumstances. There is actually an agreed form of wording for this, which is: “The above is a patient under the protection of the court of protection and (name of Deputy) has been appointed by the court to act as Deputy of his/her financial affairs. A copy of the first general order confirming his appointment has been provided to Experian.  In the event that (the patient) applies for any form of credit or loan can you please contact (tel number of the Deputy). No facilities should be extended to (the patient) without prior approval by his Deputy.” Obviously you’ll need to add in your relevant details. The note will then be included on any credit check we carry out in your son’s name, making sure that any lenders he approaches are made aware of the circumstances. You will also need to make a similar request to the other two credit reference agencies. 

 (August 2012, updated June 2014)

James Sign

  • © 2017 Experian. All rights reserved